Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh's suspension agreement called off, per report -GrowthInsight
Ethermac Exchange-Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh's suspension agreement called off, per report
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 12:17:27
So much for that suspension for Jim Harbaugh.
The Ethermac Exchangeagreed upon four-game suspension for the Michigan football coach has hit a snag and will now not happen, according to Yahoo! Sports columnist Dan Wetzel. Two assistant coaches, including offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore, were slated to serve one-game suspensions.
The agreement needed approval from the NCAA Committee of Infractions, which was expected to come before Michigan's season opener against East Carolina on Sept. 2.
But now, according to Wetzel's report, the deal is off. The case will now go through the normal hearing process, which likely will push any punishment into 2024.
Michigan football spokesman David Ablauf said Saturday night "we are unable to comment as this is still an ongoing case."
COLORADO: Football coach Deion Sanders is happy with team's progress
The suspension was for the Level I and II violations the NCAA said Harbaugh and the football program committed. The Level II violations stemmed from recruiting and coaching infractions. The Level I offenses, deemed more serious, were from statements that Harbaugh made to the NCAA, which the organization deemed misleading.
A person familiar with the situation told the Free Press on July 25 that Michigan sent its request for a "negotiated resolution" to the committee, which would have 30 days to accept, reject or change the penalty upon receipt.
That resolution included suspensions for Moore and tight ends coach Grant Newsome, according to the person. There is also a one-year show-cause penalty for former defensive coordinator Mike McDonald.
"We are continuing to work cooperatively with the NCAA staff on an enforcement matter," Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said in a statement shortly after news of the resolution broke. "At this time, we cannot comment further on any aspect of the matter."
Negotiations date to January, when people familiar with the situation confirmed to the Free Press that Harbaugh would not admit to knowingly misleading investigators, leaving talks at a standstill. Yahoo! reported that Harbaugh did admit to the Level II violations, which the Free Press confirmed stem from recruiting violations during a COVID-19 dead period, texting a recruit during a time not allowed, having analysts serve in on-field roles and having coaches watch players work out via Zoom.
"This is a one game suspension for the actual infraction," one person said, "and three games for their belief that he was less than forthright with their investigators."
Harbaugh, who had dalliances with the NFL for a second consecutive offseason, was thought to be on the verge of a new contract extension with Michigan, but there has been no public confirmation since Harbaugh announced he would return to Ann Arbor for the 2023 season.
Manuel did tell the Free Press earlier this summer that the two sides have, "had conversations about that" and "at the appropriate time, we'll make an announcement."
veryGood! (89541)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- How Kelly Rizzo's Full House of Support Helped Her After Husband Bob Saget's Death
- Bodies of 5 Greek military personnel killed in Libya flooding rescue effort are flown home
- In a state used to hurricanes and flooding, Louisiana is battling an unprecedented wildfire season
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Hurricanes almost never hit New England. That could change as the Earth gets hotter.
- The Challenge Stars Nany González and Kaycee Clark Are Engaged
- Man trapped in vehicle rescued by strangers in New Hampshire woods
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise's Daughter Bella Celebrates the End of Summer With Rare Selfie
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Florida teen accused of fatally shooting mom, injuring her boyfriend before police standoff
- 2 pilots dead after planes crashed at Nevada air racing event, authorities say
- Chevron says Australian LNG plant is back to full production after 3 days at 80% output
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- The strike by auto workers is entering its 4th day with no signs that a breakthrough is near
- A homeless man living on national forest land was shot by federal police. He's now suing
- Generac is recalling around 64,000 generators that pose a fire and burn hazard
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
U.K. leader vows to ban American bully XL dogs after fatal attack: Danger to our communities
MLB power rankings: Orioles stand strong in showdown series - and playoffs are next
In a state used to hurricanes and flooding, Louisiana is battling an unprecedented wildfire season
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
South Florida debacle pushes Alabama out of top 25 of this week's NCAA 1-133 Re-Rank
50 Cent reunites with Eminem onstage in Detroit for 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' anniversary tour
'Person of interest' detained in murder of Los Angeles deputy: Live updates